Saturday 27 February 2010

End of a mind-blowing cycling trip

With reaching Christchurch by bike it ia more or less the end of my
journey through New Zealand. Of course I am not flying home directly,
so still have a couple of days to explore more of the area around
Christchurch, and later on Auckland. However, no more cycling days
with a load of luggage.
It has been a grand journey, both in size - exploring the country by
bicycle - as well as in mind - actually doing something that has been
a dream for so long. Ah well, the dream of cycling around the North
Sea still exists ;-). But nevertheless, it has been exhilirating,
epic, heavy, stunning, and quite a few other superlatives that I can't
think of right now. Oh yeah, gorgeous and beautiful!
Right now I'm waiting for my dinner at the Bailies Irish bar &
restaurant at Cathedral Square in Christchurch, to celebrate the end
of this trip. By the time I have posted this on my blog the dinner and
a few pints of Guinness will be a sweet memory.
For the following days I planned some touristy things, such as a
scenic bus tour to Akaroa (monday) and spending a day in Christchurch
(sunday). Aside of that I will still have to figure out a way of
getting a box for my bike and prepare everything for flying to
Auckland, and a few days later home. That is something that I will be
working out in the following days. Now I'm both glad and relieved that
I made it, but also a bit sad to end it all. Let's see if Guinness can
fix that ;-) [no, I'm not becoming an alcoholic].
See you all sometime in the next month, when I get home again to
family & friends.
Cheers, Eddo

3 comments:

  1. Eddo,

    Geweldig dus!! Volgens mij is het goed dat je nu bent gegaan en niet afgelopen zomer(winter). Wat ik heb gezien aan foto's, ook op de site van je tijdelijke fietsmaatje, is veelbelovend. Mooi om te lezen dat je hoofd goed geventileerd is. Dat is toch één van de doelen.
    Tot spoedig en een goede thuisreis gewenst.

    BTW Hoeveel kilometers heb je gefietst?


    Groet,

    Peter

    PS het is weer dooi in het land!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your big ride and for completing one of your life goals. That is so inspiring. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @peter: Ja, ik denk dat fietsen in de zomer een goed plan is geweest, de weergoden zijn me erg goed gezind! Maar enkele dagdelen regen over ruim 50 fietsdagen. De nachten waarin het heeft geregend tel ik niet mee ;).
    De foto's zullen nog wel wat uitzoekwerk vergen, aangezien het een behoorlijke stapel met volle geheugenkaartjes is geworden. Ik ga er sowieso nog een fotoboek van maken.
    Totale afstand is ruim 3000 kilometer geworden; route komt nog wel een keer.

    --

    Misschien klinkt bovenstaande blogpost wat weemoedig, zo voelt het aan de ene kant ook, maar ben ook wel blij dat ik dit avontuur tot een goed einde heb gebracht en dat ik weer thuis kom. Twee maanden alleen onderweg is toch een lange tijd.

    ReplyDelete